Saturday, February 25, 2012

RDA or Merge Replication?

Hi,
Please help me with the following scenario:
I want to implement an application using eMbedded Visual C++ 3.0 (and then
4.0) to capture data locally on my Windows CE device by SQL (so, I would
like to have an .sdf file on my device where I write data.) This data would
be written continuously for a certain amount of time or if there is a
connection detected to a server somewhere (with a central database) I would
like to send the data that is stored locally to that server. (wireless by
WiFi) So, I know I need Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Windows CE edition. First
of all, I realized I have to use OLE DB because ADO is not supported for CE
4.0+.. but that's ok. So, for my scenario, should I use RDA or Merge
Replication? Again, all I want is the application running on the device to
write data in the .sdf file and then upload it to a server (I don't need any
data from the server sent to the device.) It's only one-way... from the
device to
the server. The data is very simple... just a time stamp with some
statistics .. so a certain table in the server would just grow continuously
adding new rows with new data received from the device... It is possible
that I will have multiple devices that will connect to this server and write
their data as well. So, should I use RDA or Merge Replication? Note that
I would like to also be able to write the data straight to the server (this
would be
an option: e.g., the user could choose and say if the server is online, the
data
is updated straight in the server rather than first update the .sdf file and
then
update the server. but if this is not possible, please let me know.)
From what I read, in RDA you have to do a Pull to get a table, you modify it
and then
Push it back. Can I just do successive pushes (because that's all I'm really
interested in
unless I modify already existing data which is not needed in my case) or do
I have to go
through Pull then Push all the time? So, again.. should I use Merge
Replication or RDA?
Thank you in advance for all your help!Hi, here's my 2c:
Maybe instead of using Push/Pull you may use SubmitSql that doesn't need a
Previous Pull. (It seems to me that your needs are too simple to set-up a
merge replication). HTH.
"vvf" <novvfspam@.hotmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:euFumhmZFHA.2768@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
> Please help me with the following scenario:
> I want to implement an application using eMbedded Visual C++ 3.0 (and then
> 4.0) to capture data locally on my Windows CE device by SQL (so, I would
> like to have an .sdf file on my device where I write data.) This data
> would
> be written continuously for a certain amount of time or if there is a
> connection detected to a server somewhere (with a central database) I
> would
> like to send the data that is stored locally to that server. (wireless by
> WiFi) So, I know I need Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Windows CE edition.
> First
> of all, I realized I have to use OLE DB because ADO is not supported for
> CE
> 4.0+.. but that's ok. So, for my scenario, should I use RDA or Merge
> Replication? Again, all I want is the application running on the device to
> write data in the .sdf file and then upload it to a server (I don't need
> any
> data from the server sent to the device.) It's only one-way... from the
> device to
> the server. The data is very simple... just a time stamp with some
> statistics .. so a certain table in the server would just grow
> continuously
> adding new rows with new data received from the device... It is possible
> that I will have multiple devices that will connect to this server and
> write
> their data as well. So, should I use RDA or Merge Replication? Note that
> I would like to also be able to write the data straight to the server
> (this
> would be
> an option: e.g., the user could choose and say if the server is online,
> the
> data
> is updated straight in the server rather than first update the .sdf file
> and
> then
> update the server. but if this is not possible, please let me know.)
> From what I read, in RDA you have to do a Pull to get a table, you modify
> it
> and then
> Push it back. Can I just do successive pushes (because that's all I'm
> really
> interested in
> unless I modify already existing data which is not needed in my case) or
> do
> I have to go
> through Pull then Push all the time? So, again.. should I use Merge
> Replication or RDA?
> Thank you in advance for all your help!
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment