Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Read throughput between RAID 10 and RAID 5

I know writes to RAID 5 are slower than RAID 10( I think). What about when
it comes to reading data ? Is it the same between reading from RAID 5 and
RAID 10 or is one faster than the other ? If so, let me know which one.
Thanks
Just to add to what Greg Linwood said.
It often helps to look at a storage subsystem not only in terms of its RAID
configuration, but all the components on the I/O path including the RAID
config. For instance, with enough disks, you may find the type of RAID config
is less a factor than your controller in your read throughput because the
latter may have now become the bottleneck limiting your read throughput.
Linchi
"Hassan" wrote:

> I know writes to RAID 5 are slower than RAID 10( I think). What about when
> it comes to reading data ? Is it the same between reading from RAID 5 and
> RAID 10 or is one faster than the other ? If so, let me know which one.
> Thanks
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment